A Neverwinter Nights II Mod by Jon and Dennis Graf

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Beginnings

This is the story of a journey. It is a journey of healing - though as with any healing process, there are often relapses. The story begins several years ago when my son Jon introduced me to the NeverWinter Nights computer game. Jon was an avid gamer and he particularly loved role playing games. One evening he said something along the lines of "hey - you gotta see this. The graphics are incredible". To humor him I agreed to sit "for a few minutes". He had tried to hook me into games before - without much success. This time was different. I immediately began playing on my own, and played through the original NWN campaign, all the sequels, and many of the mods created by the NWN community. I asked him how people made mods, and he said that there was a toolkit. Now you have to understand that we were playing on a Mac - so we didn't have access to the toolkit.

Then I got a new Intel Mac and set it up so I could play on the PC side. Jon again brought up the idea of creating our own mod. I agreed that it might be a fun project, but when we opened the toolkit, it was all a bit daunting, and we decided to put it off till the release of NWN II. Long story short - we never got around to it. Jon took his life a week or so before NWNII was released.

Now jump ahead a year to the anniversary of his passing. As a part of my attempts to deal with the day, I was reading over some of the things he had written. As I read through one of his short stories, "The Price of Honor", I thought what a great mod this would have made. That evening I opened the toolset in earnest for the first time. In the months since I have been blundering through tutorials, posts on the NWNII community site, and of course reading the blogs of those who are in the midst of various new mods. 

I now have a good deal of work created, and am just about ready to share some of it with the community in hopes of getting some feedback and eventually posting it to the NWNII Vault - much as Jon and i dreamed of doing. The basic plot and much of the dialogue is Jon's - from his short story. I take full credit for all the mistakes, miscues and beginners execution.

8 comments:

Alex Hugon said...

Wow, that's quite a story. I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's great that you're doing this. Good luck with release! And thanks for the link, I'll return the favor. :)

Ryshara said...

That is the most touching story about NWN2 that I have ever read. *wipes a tear*... I hope this helps you heal. I know it has helped me deal with my Uncle's passing a little better.

I know your mod will do well and thanks for linking to our Gaming Parents Studios blog. I'll add a link to yours. :)

EC said...

I too am obviously moved by the intent of this mod. I wish you all the best with it.

I am very happy to learn you drop by our blog from time to time. I'll be following your own progress closely too.

Good luck. I'd be happy to beta test if I can, when you're ready.

Merecraft said...

Good luck with the mod. What a great way to honour the memory of your son! :)

Josh said...

Wow, that is a pretty touching story. I've never quite seen anything like it.

This mod is something like a living memory of him in a ways. I wish you the best of luck with your mod. You should drop by Bouncy Rock Entertainment sometime, get to know those people. I might be able to help at some point (once my schedule dies down).

Anonymous said...

I got chills reading your story.

The beautiful side to all this, your doing that project with Jon in spirit. I am very much looking forward to experiencing this module.

Best Regards
Liso

dgraf said...

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments, links, and offers to test. I will need a few good testers. Being an "old fart" and coming so late to the game, I don't have any role playing buds now that Jon is gone.

csloat said...

Wow. I don't know what to say. It's beautiful. You're bringing it all to life, the idea, the story, and the memory. Jon would be so proud.

Way to go Dad.